The Untitled Cloverfield Sequel is the possible follow up or prequel to the events of Cloverfield.
At the premiere of the film, Matt Reeves spoke about possibilities on how a sequel will turn out if the film succeeds. According to Reeves, "While we were on set making the film we talked about the possibilities and directions of how a sequel can go. The fun of this movie was that it might not have been the only movie being made that night, there might be another movie! In today's day and age of people filming their lives on their camera phones and Handycams, uploading it to YouTube... That was kind of exciting thinking about that."
In an interview with comingsoon.net, Reeves states:
- "There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him. In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another."
- —Matt Reeves
Reeves also pointed out that the end scene on Coney Island shows something falling into the ocean in the background (pointed out by fans to be in the far right from the view out of the Ferris wheel, a bit left of a boat sitting in the water seen falling just as the camera beeps), but didn't give out details. Producers Bryan Burk and J.J. Abrams also announced their thoughts to Entertainment Weekly about possible sequel(s). According to Bryan Burk, "The creative team has fleshed out an entire backstory which, if we're lucky, we might get to explore in future films".
Also, Abrams states that he did not want to rush into the development of the sequel right away because of the first film's success, instead he wants to create a sequel that is true to the previous film. At the end of January, Matt Reeves entered early talks with Paramount Pictures to direct a sequel to Cloverfield, which would likely be filmed before Reeves's other project, The Invisible Woman.
- "The idea of doing something so differently is exhilarating. We hope that it created a movie experience that is different. The thing about doing a sequel is that I think we all really feel protective of that experience. The key here will be if we can find something that is compelling enough and that is different enough for us to do, then it will probably be worth doing. Obviously it also depends on how Cloverfield does worldwide and all of those things too, but really, for us creatively, we just want to find something that would be another challenge."
- —Matt Reeves
In an interview with IGN, J.J. Abrams stated that they are still in talks with Paramount. Abrams thought that it would be fun to work on something different. Matt Reeves and Drew Goddard have drawn up different stories for the sequel, but Abrams is only considering the idea of continuing Cloverfield. Paramount is still trying to seal the deal for the sequel.
In September 2008, when asked by CraveOnline.com what the current status is on Cloverfield 2, Abrams stated that at this point, they were still discussing it; however, he still feels reluctant to work on a sequel. In the same interview, Abrams said that they were working on something that "could be kind of cool." When asked if it would take place in a different location, Abrams replied by saying that "it would be a totally different kind of thing but it's too early to talk about."
In a 2010 interview with Attack of the Show, Abrams had stated that they might abandon the filming style, stating that he and the rest of the crew would like to try something new.
According to J. J. Abrams in another interview, he has said "We're talking about it with Paramount still... but the truth is there's another idea that I'd rather do with the same people than do a sequel of Cloverfield." At the San Diego Comic-Con, J.J. Abrams said "There will be a Cloverfield 2...but it won't be a sequel. It will be something "surprising"..
According to Internet Movie Database.com, a "Cloverfield 2" profile was created with a "in development" status alongside a unconfirmed release date of 2014. The profile has since been updated and entitled "Untitled Cloverfield Sequel", bearing no significant production or casting information.
In 2011, Matt Reeves stated in an interview with totalfilm.com that the intention was still to produce the Cloverfield sequel, but neither himself or Abrams knew when production would start and that they were still in talks over the story.[note 1] When asked whether or not the film would be in the same "found footage" format:
- "You see, that’s a difficult part: we want it to be shot like the first but how can you continue that idea successfully for a second time? We have a lot of affection for the original and the sequel can’t just be the same thing. But that is tricky when you need to have a monster destroying stuff once again"
- —Matt Reeves
In a 2012 interview, screenwriter Goddard gave an update saying, "I'm in, I'm ready to do it...someone call J. J. and tell him to get moving, but because Matt and J. J. and I have been fortunate enough to be busy, it's hard syncing our schedules up. We're all very passionate about returning to that world." When asked if an idea is on paper, he responded: "If you asked each of us what we wanted to do, you'll get three different answers, which is how the first film was. The aesthetic of Cloverfield benefits from that. Three voices pulling it. Look, nothing would make me happier than to get the three of us in the room to get started."
In a later interview in April of that same year, Goddard said, "We didn’t set out to make a franchise, we set out to make a good movie. But I love that world and that universe, so if there was an idea that excited us enough, and we felt like there was a reason to do it, we would do it." He also said "The nice thing about when you work with a guy like J.J., and the power he gets, the studio’s not going to force him to do anything. And he has been able to say, we’ll do it when we’re ready. We’re not going to just do it because it will help your bottom line, we’re going to do it because there’s an idea that excites us. And so that’s informed our discussions. We don’t feel like we have to, so it’s like, Can we come up with something that excites us enough to do it?"
In an interview with Playboy Magazine, when questioned about the future of a Cloverfield 2 Abrams states, “Part of me just wants to let it go, though we’ve had a couple of discussions about cool ways to do it. I’m looking forward to seeing Pacific Rim this summer. It feels like there are some really big monsters coming down the pike that could inspire something we do.”
In 2018, it was confirmed that "a true, dedicated Cloverfield sequel" was in development. Abrams further commented that it would likely be released in theatres rather than being released on Netflix.
- ↑ Reeves: "Well, you are going to see it – we just don’t know when [laughs]. At the moment we are talking about the story quite a lot. Drew Goddard, who wrote the original, is going to pen the sequel and J.J. Abrams is very much involved. However, the three of us have been so busy that getting the right idea together has been taking a long time."
- ↑ 'Cloverfield' Sequel Talk, Violent Plans!
- ↑ Reeves Runs Merrily Through Cloverfield
- ↑ Entertainment Weelkly Magazine, 2008
- ↑ Exclusive: Matt Reeves Clarifies Cloverfield Sequel Status
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 J.J Abrams is on the Fringe
- ↑ J.J. Abrams talks 'Cloverfield' sequel
- ↑ J.J. Abrams Talks Cloverfield Sequel
- ↑ Cloverfield Clues
- ↑ Untitled Cloverfield Sequel
- ↑ Matt Reeves talks Cloverfield 2
- ↑ Matt Reeves talks Cloverfield 2
- ↑ A Cloverfield 2 Update From Drew Goddard
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Sequel Bits: James Cameron Wants More T-800 in ‘Terminator 5′, Plus: ‘Mission: Impossible 5′, ‘Cloverfield 2′, ‘Grown-Ups 2′, ‘Star Trek’ Video Game
- ↑ PLAYBOY INTERVIEW: J.J.ABRAMS
- ↑ Reddit AMA with T.J. Miller
- ↑ here Reddit AMA with T.J. Miller #2
- ↑ OVERLORD IS NOT CLOVERFIELD 4, BUT A 'TRUE' CLOVERFIELD SEQUEL IS ON THE WAY